Club only Rose Inn 4. Friday 23rd July
This was the 3rd Championship Race so far this year. Great that we had 39 Harriers taking part.
Full results here
Club Points and Positions:
Open Championship
Age Graded Championship
Note that individual race points and positions can be found by clicking on the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet
Rogue Runs' Age Grader. Sunday 25th July
The Rogues' new race. Main results are ordered for age-adjusted times and prizes awarded to top 5 men and ladies. The idea is to highlight the performances of older runners.
Full Results (sorted for age adjusted times).
Club members results:
| AG Time | Percentage | Actual Time | |
| Niki MORGAN | 00:27:21 | 88.47% | 00:32:18 |
| Stephen OWEN | 00:25:07 | 84.89% | 00:33:14 |
| Jonathan CARTER | 00:26:11 | 81.42% | 00:30:18 |
| Lisa JEFFREY | 00:30:36 | 79.07% | 00:34:29 |
| Andrew WATTS | 00:28:25 | 75.04% | 00:30:34 |
| Jane BAYLISS | 00:32:57 | 73.45% | 00:47:33 |
| Dave ANDREWS | 00:31:25 | 67.86% | 00:44:08 |
| John COBBE | 00:32:18 | 66.01% | 00:41:10 |
| Geoff BAYLISS | 00:37:09 | 57.39% | 00:52:58 |
| Syd WHEELER | 00:43:05 | 49.47% | 01:14:49 |
Parkruns
'parkrun' returned to most English venues. Exceptions being Forestry managed areas - so in the FoD no Mallards Pike nor 5 Acres. See Steve's analysis on members only facebook group to see how club members got on.
GLCL Virtual 4 Miler
The 3rd in this summer's series. Overall results can be found on the GLCL website here:
http://www.glclrunning.com/
Runner of the Week
Sarah Bell.
Why did you start running? I started running with friends in the evenings when our children were small, 14 years ago. It was a good excuse to get my husband to do his bit at home! We were definitely running at chatting pace and when I entered my first 10k a few years later (the Angmering Bluebell Race) I hadn’t ever run anywhere near 10k.
My sister came to visit and ran too. She finished 3s ahead of me in a ‘sprint’ finish (57 minutes) and she maintains that this means she is a better runner than me despite never having run another race. She reminds me of it when the photo evidence appears on facebook every year!
Why did you join Harriers? I joined Monmouth Rowing Club when we moved to Chepstow. I wasn’t very good and I struggled to get there often enough so I was always the weakest link in the boat, so I thought I’d give Harriers a try. I definitely struggled with pacing in early track sessions, speedy at first then collapsing in a heap.
I love how many people are willing to give up their time for the club. Coaches, committee, race organisers, web stuff, covid policy etc. I help organise the Rose Inn volunteers and I’m always amazed by how many people are keen to help.
What events do you like best? Like most runners I like the ones I am better at, so cross country (the rougher the better) and marathons. I struggle with short tarmac races, I don’t have the speed of some of the other girls, and consequently find them very stressful. I love being part of a team, I love the GLCL XC races, the relays and a club champs away day, like the Terminator race, the Twmbarlam Terror, Howling Bull etc.
What’s a typical week’s training? I expect I could be a better runner if I stuck to a schedule but I prefer to make it up as I go along. If it becomes too serious it takes the fun out of running for me. If I’m marathon training I try to do a long run, tempo runs, and some hill or speed repetitions, mostly off road. I’d like to say I do 2 non running sessions a week but I struggle to stick to that. But there are some brilliant strength and flexibility workouts on youtube, I recommend a lady called madfit. If you are doing high mileage I think it’s important to mix it up and look after your body.
Running goals? I’m pretty sure I can do a sub 3.10 marathon. I have a place at London in October but I’ve missed the boat on training so it won’t be at that one! Next time I will follow Kath Matthews advice and follow a plan better.
Running inspiration. I won’t be the only Harrier to say that Niki Morgan is my inspiration. She’s the person I want to beat more than anyone, but also the one I never really mind being beaten by because she’s just such an incredible competitor.
Kelly Holmes was a fantastic example of hard work and determination finally paying off.
Advice: Do the sort of running you enjoy, a hobby shouldn’t be stressful!

No comments:
Post a Comment