Another plea to let me know about upcoming or past events/results - if I don't know about it, it won't appear here.
CWR2021
Reminder that the teams are: CWR2021 Teams
It's a very good idea to recce your leg before racing it on 3rd July.
Members have been getting out over the last week to do this.
It's also a good idea to practice using the maprun app before then too. To that end, this coming Thursday Cherry and Paul will lead a run from the LC around the 3 Woods maprun as a kind of social run plus maprun tutorial. Everyone welcome (even those not doing the CWR). Anyone coming will need to have downloaded and set up the maprun6 app on their phone. It would help also if they have downloaded the 3 woods route - in the app just go to 'select event', then choose: UK/Wales/South Wales Trails/Severn and Wye/Chepstow 3 Woods. Please respond on the facebook thread about this if you are thinking of coming along.
Racing
On Wednesday 2nd June it was the last of the Hereford 5k series events. Here are the results for the 6 Harriers that took part:
| Robert Pritchard 18:13 |
| Paul Dodd 18:40 |
| Cherry Fowler 18:42 |
| Tom Annetts 22:50 |
| Carrie Williams 23:37 |
| Sonia Unsted 27:41 |
In the series overall Bobby was 20th MSen, Paul 1st MV60, Cherry 1st FV50, Tom 8th MV40, Carrie 5th FV45 and Sonia 8th FV50. Cherry's time gave her a WMA agre graded percentage of over 90% and she currently has the fastest FV50 time in the UK this year.
GLCL Virtual Mile
44 Harriers submitted a time - 26 men and 18 ladies. The men were 5th in the A team category and 5th and 3rd in the B and C teams categories. The ladies were 1st in all 3 categories.
Results are on the GLCL website here: GLCL website
Club champs
The next race in the club champs is the Orchard Time Trial organised by Fodac. It's on Thursday 17th June. Entry and info is here: Orchard Time Trial
Anyone in the club can take part in the club champs - it's usually a good social occasion.
Fell Series
The next race in the club fell series is Coity Fell Race. 5 miles. This was specifically put in the series for anyone wanting to try out their first fell race. Any club member could do this one. You will need to take some special kit with you just in case the race organizer asks you to carry it on the day (as the weather may not be sunny and clear): waterproof top, hat gloves, waterproof trousers, whistle, compass and something like a bum-bag to carry it all in if you need to. Don't let this list put you off - it should be possible to borrow anything you want from others beforehand - just ask. It is possible you'll not need to carry anything if the weather is good. You could get away with just 'grippy' trainers but trial shoes or fell shoes are best.
Entry details are here: Coity Entry and Info.
Runner of the Week
Bill Savage
Why did you start running? I started running after I left the Army in 1990 to keep fit, I had seen too many of my mates let themselves go which in most cases was not a pretty sight?
What was your first race? Lcl xc Risca baptism of fire no proper shoes and big shorts on a very wet and muddy course.
How long have you been running? Been running all my life about 60 years started in school in N Ireland was schoolboy XC champ in 1962 and always kept fit in the Army as I was in The Parachute Engineers for a lot of my 24years service although I never ran competitively like we do now.
Why did you join Chepstow Harriers? I joined in 1991 a year after I left the Army and was living in Bulwark and also was getting bored running on my own and as I said to my wife at the time “I’m not interested in racing -points or anything like that I just want a bit of exercise” Now look what’s happened 30 years on.
What runs/events do you like best? My favourite is off road and XC races they are best when it is hilly muddy and wet.
What is your favourite distance? Favourite distance is any distance as long as it’s not sprinty stuff.
What is a typical training week for you? Try to stick to 3 times a week speed on Tuesday off road harder on Thursdays and longer run Sundays either road or off road depending on weather I also go to Lydney gym with other Harriers on a Wednesday and they concentrate on core strength which I find helpful.
In what ways does running impact on your life? Keeps me mentally active and gets me out and about.
Do you think you fit into any particular category of runner? Yes, I’m the best there is opps!!!!! Only joking I think I’m an all rounder when competition comes around.
What do you feel is your best running achievement? I became Club Champion in 1997
I was runner up in 1992, and third in 1996 2000 and 2007
I also became King of the Cotswolds in 2007 and held the fastest overall time for a couple of years until the younger runners came along including that sprightly runner from Chippenham Harriers called Paul Dodd. (Ha. First time I've been called 'young and sprightly'. And in any case - you were the legend that inspired us to all to try to become Kings of the CWR. Ed)
Is there anybody that has inspired you through running? You need not look any further than our very own Mr Sid Wheeler.
Have you a short funny story about running. In 1997 I entered the Xmas Pudding race in the FOD in the blurb it said all competitors would receive a xmas pudding so I informed my wife who said great we don’t have to splash out on puddings this year. Imagine her surprise when I got back and handed her a 2inch diameter Chocolate pudding!!!!!!!
Do You have Short/Long term goals in running? Yes, just to keep going.
Got any advice for others? Concentrate on your own goals Times and Achievements will follow.
Long Term Injury Problems. In 2009 I experienced severe pain in my front right upper thigh near the hip joint It stopped me running altogether and it took nearly 4 years and a lot of money later to be diagnosed with a blocked Artery tucked under the hip joint with the thigh bones. It was too dangerous to operate on so they advised no running anymore and changed my medication for blood pressure.
Over the years it has got a little better so in early 2020 I decided to try running again.
Much to my surprise the tablets have thinned the blood. Although I have bad pain for the first mile or so then the blood finds it way around the blockage and things are not bad after that. It has been a long 10 years but I look forward to better days now. (Great to see you coming back Bill. Ed)

No comments:
Post a Comment