Sunday, 30 May 2021

Weekly news. Sunday 30th May.

Well, actual May weather at last. 😎

Just a reminder that if you have any club news to let me know about it so I can include it here - if you've taken part in an event, know someone who has, got one coming up you can recommend etc.

3 Harriers took part in the OmmLite on 29/30May at Grasmere in the Lake District -  Paul Dodd, Karen Elvers and Cherry Fowler. Run/walk 5 hours Saturday and 4 hours Sunday. Find as many checkpoints as you can in the time.
Karen went on to do both days and was 8th lady overall.
Cherry did the Saturday and was 2nd lady overall. Paul was 5th vet on the Saturday

Cotswold Way Relay (CWR) - Saturday 3rd July
The website is here: CWR website
All of the CWR routes/legs are available on the Maprun6 site. It's probably a good idea using the maprun route when doing your recce. This way you know the route and how the maprun app works.

To find your leg, you need to open Maprun6 on your phone. Click 'select event', then 'UK', then 'Bath and NE Somerset', then 'Cotswold Way Relay 2021', then click on your leg. Any problems just ask.
Here are the teams: CWR2021 Teams

GLCL One Mile
Ongoing results are here:
GLCL One Mile results
Information is here: GLCL website

Wild Wye Swim Run. Sun 30th May
7 Harriers took part in this SARA fundraiser organised by Richard Newhouse:

Paul MURRIN 01:03:36
Sarah BELL 01:17:17
Karie ATKINS 01:19:28
Vanessa LAWSON 01:22:17
Esther CALDWELL 01:22:52
Shari FINCH 01:46:12
Gill ELLIS 02:10:56

Runner of the Week
Jonathan Carter.

Why did you start running? It may surprise people, but I was always an exercise dodger from a very early age - anything to avoid ‘getting out there’. I was always far more into my studies & more sedentary hobbies. As a parent to three active boys, I had to get more active & did a bit of football with them & then, aged 44, I decided to run the first Devauden 10k in 2012 for Charity. People thought I was mad, donated lots of cash & were convinced I wouldn’t finish! I did finish, I enjoyed it & the Running addiction went from there!

 Why did you join Chepstow Harriers? Still running as a Charity fundraiser, I then decided to go further - the only way to get more money, was to put my self in more discomfort and run further! So my next event was Cardiff Half 2013 & then I got a charity place in the London Marathon 2014. With both of those completed, I did my first parkrun in the Forest of Dean & after a chat with Club Legend Syd Wheeler, I decided a running club was my next option - it was almost Forest of Dean but I decided to join Chepstow Harriers in May 2014. Best decision ever!
What runs/events do you like best? Trail, trail & more trail
What’s your favourite distance? A trail 10k is bang on the money!

What ways does running impact on your life? Little & often is key to my training. I try to be ‘run ready’ at all times - if I’ve got kit with me & suddenly a half an hour spare, then I can run. I have to balance running, work & family life- I’m not convinced I get it right!
Do you think you fit into any particular category of runner? Competitive every time.
What do you feel is your best running achievement?  8 marathons & every one a PB, but it will be that elusive sub 3 when I get it! Setting up Severn Bridge parkrun fills me with a huge sense of pride.
Is there anybody (famous or local) or anything that has particularly inspired you in your running? Volunteers - without them, nothing would happen. Giving time to volunteer is hugely rewarding, those who don’t are missing out.

Have you got a short epic/funny story to tell about running?  Holiday running is epic - seeing the Fontana de Trevi, Spanish Steps, Vatican City, the Circus Maximus, the Colosseum, the Forum, the Pantheon all in an early morning Roman run is something amazing. If you’re going in holiday - Pack those running shoes!
Do you have any short term/long term goals in running? Or is there an event you’d really like to do? As I get older, moving closer to that 90% age grading always has to be a target!
Got any advice for others? Someone  may have said this before, but Just Do It!
An idea to take the club forward? Personalised training plans - everyone wants to improve- they need a bit of direction how to do that best.

No comments:

Post a Comment