Sunday, 23 May 2021

Weekly News. Sunday 23rd May

NEWS. If you have any club news please send it to me so I can post it here. It can be results and/or participation by members in running events or ideas for races members can enter in the future. 

Club Champs - SB5KTT

65 Harriers took part in the first champs race of the year on Tuesday 18th May - the Severn Bridge 5K Time Trial.
Here are the overall results: Overall Club results
and here are the results according to age graded percentage: Age Graded percentages

The next club champs race is on Thurs 17th June - The Orchard TT,
Entry here: Orchard TT

Llanthony-Longtown - Fell series race 2.
9 Harriers took part in the 2nd race of the 2021 club fell series:

10 Martyn WINSER M Senior 01:13:36
11 James BOYLE M V50 01:14:16
12 Niki MORGAN F V50 01:14:54
13 Matthew LAWSON M V50 01:15:22
20 Ross WALKER M V40 01:17:56
22 Cherry FOWLER F V50 01:18:14
28 Vanessa LAWSON F V40 01:23:12
36 Tom ANNETTS M V40 01:26:54
46 Gareth JONES M V70+ 01:46:14

Full race results are here: Longtown-Llanthony Fell Race 2021

Ross Round Relays
4 Harriers from the Lydney contingent took part in the this relay on Sunday 23rd. Densie and Mike Evans, Cherry Fowler and Graham Taylor.
They came 8th out of the 14 teams that took part. More information can be found here: Ross Round Relay

GLCL Virtual Races. Summer 2021.
This week is the one mile distance. Details and links to rules and results submission here: GLCL website

 Runner of the week: Bridget Davies

Why did you start running?  I am a relative new comer to running and sport in general having been told at school that I was slow and couldn’t catch a ball!  My daughter joined a group of friends in 2017 who were challenged by Gareth Thomas to complete the Cardiff Half Marathon (Alfie’s Army).  I started C25k to encourage her to train – it didn’t work for her but it was life changing for me.  Running gives me a focus when I need it and a sense of achievement.    

Why did you join Chepstow Harriers? I bumped into Jane Rymer at a Lydney parkrun who persuaded me to join the Harriers but I hardly saw her after that….was it something I said Jane??!     I have met some amazing people at the Harriers; steady runners, fast runners, all of them inspiring.  

What was your first ever race? Newport 10k in 2018.  I thought I would hate the crowds but did it as a challenge my sister set me.  I loved it.  The crowd were so generous with their cheers and the steel band and piper made it an occasion to remember.

What runs/events do you like best?  I have enjoyed all of the runs and events I have done with the Harriers but this past year has offered the challenge of organising your own run as part of the many virtual series or races.  It has helped me appreciate the hard work that goes into planning races – it’s not easy to find a route that meets a set of requirements and provides the optimum racing environment.  I have to admit after initially saying I would never run in the illustrious industrial estate, I was drawn to its magic a few times to get a pb.

Do you have any short term/long term goals in running? My goal for this year is to run my first marathon.  After initially doing well with training and taking part in the virtual GLCL spring marathon prep, I needed to put it on hold to move house.  I got as far as 20 miles which is the furthest I have run to date.  I am starting to extend my long runs again now and have entered the Coast to Coast challenge at the end of July, 100k over 2 days (another one of my sister’s suggestions!).  Any recommendations for an autumn marathon would be gratefully received ☺


Advice for others…. Go out and do your thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment