Sunday, 2 May 2021

Weekly News. Sunday 2nd May

Racing scene 

Pen Tir maprun. Club Fell series 2021 - Race 1.
18 Harriers took part in the first fell race of the 2021 fell series.
Results are here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DjCQs7V8WKGeys5-1lxZ3IbkMItUWTTK/view?usp=sharing

Cwmdu West Maprun - Sunday 2nd May
Results coming soon.

Next weekend is the Cwmdu Fell Race - Sat 8th May
Matthew, Vanessa, James, Martyn, Paul, Cherry are signed up to take part. This fell race is orgnaised by Dick Finch.

Speedway 10k - Sunday 2nd May
A huge well done to James for getting this club organised event up and running in difficult times, when it's just easier to throw in the towel and wait till next year. What a line up of speedy runners! The cut off time for inclusion in the mens race being around 37 mins. Results will appear later here:
https://sites.google.com/view/speedway10k/home/results

Orienteering - Coopers Hill - Sat 1st May  

We have quite a few orineteers in the club. This weekend Vanessa Lawson, Seth Lawson, Reuben Lawson and Andy Creber took part in the 3rd event of the current NGOC series at Coopers Hill. Here are the results:

Green: 4th Seth Lawson 36:13
Blue: 36th Reuben Lawson 84:05, 17th Vanessa Lawson 68:37,  2nd Andy Creber 52:19

Maprun - St Briavels Maprun - Thurs 6th May. This event has been set up by Andy Stott

Info here  (only on facebook at present it seems) https://www.facebook.com/events/2029275037214294

Otherwise try here: http://www.ngocweb.com/maprun/upcoming-events/

Club Training

Please see the blog post created by the coaching team for details of how to sign up for Tuesday and Thursday sessions.

Runner of the week.
Tom Riddington. 


 

Why did you start running? I was getting unfit and chubby.  Needed to do something to allow me to still eat and drink.
What was your first ever race? Lliswerry 8 – very enjoyable.
How long have you been running? Getting on for 10 years now, Wow, I really should be better than I am!
Why did you join Chepstow Harriers? I think Leo suggested several times I should join.  Like most I never though I could be part of a running club but I decided to give it a try.
What runs/events do you like best? Interesting routes such as Charmouth Challenge. Longer races tend to suit me better.
What’s your favourite distance? Half marathon. Far enough to feel a challenge but not so far it wipes me out for the week.
What’s a typical training week for you? Include any cross-training (other activity that impacts on running) you may do. Running is Tues & Thurs Harriers training, Sat Parkrun, Sun Long run. I often do gym core classes Mon, Tues, Fri.
What ways does running impact on your life? Running impacts nearly every part of my life.  Keeps me fit, my social life is mainly round the running club, I structure my weeks to allow for running time.  Couldn’t really do without it.
Do you think you fit into any particular category of runner? No, I'm not sure I like to categorise running. We all get different things out of it. 
What do you feel is your best running achievement? Probably London Marathon 2015 when I achieved sub 4 hours for the first time (3:42) and smashed my PB by 40 mins.  Pretty much went downhill after that.
Is there anybody (famous or local) or anything that has particularly inspired you in your running? Probably my Dad and seeing how determined he was as a runner.  He was much better than I am and he likes to remind me of that.  Typical comment would be “I didn’t need gels in my day but then you are out on the course a lot longer than I was”.
Have you got a short epic/funny story to tell about running? Rob Beves after Snowdonia marathon being tended to by the paramedics, calling “someone get a photo quick”.
Do you have any short term/long term goals in running? Or is there an event you’d really like to do?  

Yes, get back to marathons, get back under 20 mins for a 5k.  NY Marathon is my must do race as I went to watch my father run it in the 90s.
Got any advice for others? Want to get something off your chest? An idea to take the club forward? 

Find what you enjoy in running and do that.  Get involved in the running of the club.  I joined to run but have learnt that the club only operates when people get involved to organise it.  If you enjoy being part of the club then you may find getting involved in its organisation is equally rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment