Reminder - if you have any news, announcements, race results or news on up coming events members could enter please contact me so I can include it here in the weekly news.
Training
Please see the blog post from the coaching team for information on next week's training.
Racing scene
Cwmdu Fell Race - Saturday 8th May.
7 Harriers took part in Dick's fell race from Cwmdu. After a prolonged dry spell with fine sunny weather, it was fairly typical for it to turn wet and windy for the first local 'real' fell race since the last lockdown. 60 had entered and 46 turned up. Amazingly, the course record was broken.
| Matthew LAWSON | 01:39:33 | |
| Martyn WINSER | 01:44:41 | |
| Paul DODD | 01:45:51 | |
| James BOYLE | 01:46:30 | |
| Andy CREBER | 01:46:57 | |
| Cherry FOWLER | 01:50:58 | |
| Vanessa LAWSON | 01:58:09 |
Full results here:
https://sites.google.com/site/welshfellrace/races/cwmdu
The next fell race in the club fell series is the Longtown-Llanthony Fell Race on 22nd May. It's 14km and 800m of ascent. Entries are full at the time of writing. We are having a recce of the route on the Saturday before - 15th May. You don't need to be doing the race to come on the recce. It will be at a fairly gentle pace with a lot of walking up the hills - all welcome. Please contact Paul Dodd if you're thinking of coming. The route is here:
https://sites.google.com/site/welshfellrace/longtown-llanthony-loop
Herefprd 5K - Wednesday 5th May
10 Harriers raced in Hereford Couriers' 2nd race of the series of 3 midweek 5k's:
Jon Barnes 16:10
Robert Pritchard 17:18
Katy Roy 18:03
Paul Dodd 18:10
Cherry Fowler 18:51
Reuben 20:19
Vanessa Lawson 21:12
Tom Annetts 22:33
Carrie Williams 23:51
Sonia Unsted 27:21
Katy, Reuben and Cherry gained PB's for the distance and Paul got his first age graded 90%+.
Full results here:
https://www.avtiming.com/results
St Briavels MaRun - Thursday 6th May
Dave Andrews, Andy Creber and Vanessa&Seth Lawson took part in the event planned by Andy Stott.
Runner of the week.
Vicky Davies is one of our newest members. She is a run director for the Severn Bridge parkrun.
I started running to get fitter and stuck with it as I found and fell in love with parkrun doing my first one in March 2016. I recently joined the Harriers moving from Lliswerry as I’ve just started to enjoy mountain trail running for the views mainly and like the more varied terrain training offered.
My favourite distance is 10 miles as I find that extra parkrun to get to a half always a step too far!
I usually run four or five times a week and could probably do with a more structured plan as most of my runs are a social affair! This is the best thing about running for me, the people that it’s brought into my life who are now friends. A chatty run, with a view ending at a cafe or a pub is my favourite way to spend a day. I’m a keen parkrun tourist and hoping to get into the World Tourist club when we can travel abroad again and parkrun is back.
All my proudest achievements relate to parkrun, with my first sub 30 probably being my proudest! It took 88 goes to get that first one!
My favourite race was Newport Half in 2018 in torrential rain! So many of my running buddies were supporting and I ended up with a 5 minute PB and a time of 2hrs 10 which I’m very proud of.
I’ve met four celebs whilst running, Eve Myles, Claire Balding, Iwan Thomas and my favourite getting a kiss from Derek the Weatherman at the Barry 10K.
I was very cuffed at my first training session with the Harriers to get my fastest mile (albeit in 150m reps) and so my short term goal is to get close to this over an actual mile and then a 5K. It could take a bit of work!
I’m excited for the return of parkrun and am signed up to Newport Marathon to make it a hat trick!
I would like to do an Ultra at some point as well as maybe a Trail Marathon so I get to picnic and run.
I don’t feel qualified to give advice but wish I’d started running earlier as it has had such a positive impact on my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment