Wyedean Relay - Saturday 13th August.
Great club camaraderie at the Rogue Runs event. Nice to see so many competing and supporting this year. Some very impressive individual and team performances too.
Tosh took some ace photos.
All info, results and photos here:
https://sites.google.com/site/roguerunsevents/home/our-events/wyedean-relay
Westbury 5k - Tues August 10th (part of the AVR 5k series)
Bobby Pritchard 17:03
Hereford Couriers Jon Ward 5k - Sun 15th August
Paul Dodd 18:32
Cherry Fowler 18:53
Niki Morgan 19:08
Steve Owen 20:28
Coming up this week.
GLCL virtual 5 miles. Get your 5 miles done either virtually or at the club 5 mile mob match. See the GLCL website for details: https://sites.google.com/site/glclrunning/home
Mob match.
Don't forget the Mob Match v Thornbury on Tuesday. Meet down at the 7B underpass. Get your chip 6:30pm. Run 7:00pm.
Rose Inn 4 - Friday 20th August. 7:30pm
Really great to see the club 'pulling out all the stops' to put on a Rose Inn 4 event this year. Many club members will be in attendance either helping, running or supporting. It's a good social too.
Club Champs 2021
One of the August races was the Blaisdon 10k, which has now been cancelled. Vanessa and Bobby have thus included an 'any 10k in September' in the club champs to replace it. It needs to be an officially measured 10k course (if you're unsure what this means just ask).
Runner of the week.
Paul Dodd
(Yes me - I'm the backup)
Why
did you start running? To lose weight … for rock climbing. It’s a power:weight
thing, just like running. The less you weigh the easier it all becomes.
What was your first ever race? Marshfield 10k. Where I lived at the time - lovely village organised event. I think in 1984?
How long have you been running? Started competing as a club runner mid 40’s. That's
when rock climbing became less appealing and running more so (I got scared more easily 😄).
Why did you join Chepstow Harriers? Moved from Bath area to FoD. Joc liked the
fact that at the time that there were some competitive women in the club. The
club turn out at Riverbank Rollick the year we moved was impressive so we
joined. Glad we did. Really love the fact there are so many things to get into –
fell runs, xc, handicap, championship, relays etc etc.
What runs/events do you like best? Mountain events: fell races and mountain
marathons but I’m more competitive on the road it seems. Doh. 😧
What’s your favourite distance? On the road: 5k-4miles. Off road: anything.
What’s a typical training week for you? 3 runs per week – tempo, speed, long
(or race). 20 miles average I guess. Gym work twice a week, mtb cycling twice a week, yogalates, walks.
What ways does running impact on your life? I like being active or I get grumpy (yes even more grumpy) – running is just one of many endorphin inducing activities I do.
Do you think you fit into any particular category of runner? The ‘could train
more’ type.
What do you feel is your best running achievement? Supporting wife Joc on her
Bob Graham Round – 23:40. We did a lot of training for that. She succeeded. I
failed… and learnt an important lesson - I’m not an ultra type of person. Double doh. Want to know more about the bob Graham Round? Look here: https://sites.google.com/site/bobgrahamround/home
Is there anybody (famous or local) or anything that has particularly inspired
you in your running? Mostly members of my old club who were faster than me… but
after a few years I was in competition with. The most memorable and inspiring
running moments have been great battles with fellow club mates. Love it.
Have you got a short epic/funny story to tell about running? I did the Tough Guy for 6 consecutive years (forerunner of modern mudstacle events). Washing Joc’s t-shirt out after the event in the sink, whilst she was in the shower, I found two stickle back fish stuck to the inside. She said she wondered what the prickly feeling on her chest was.
Do you have any short term/long term goals in running? Or is there an event you’d really like to do? If I can keep running as I am now for another 6 months without injury I’ll be a happy chappy.
Got any advice for others? Train more than me. Try different running events. Be willing to travel 4 hours to do a 30 min run. Worry less about being last and don’t compare yourself to other perceived fast club runners – they are just big fish in a very small pond. There's always someone faster than you!
Want to get something off your chest? An idea to take the club forward? IMO the club really really needs to focus on attracting and holding on to younger members. Free membership? Bespoke 18-30 training?


No comments:
Post a Comment