OTT - Orchard Time Trial - Thursday 17th June - 2nd club champs race of the year
This unusual event was put together by our friends at Fodac. It's great to see a club coming up with imaginative ideas to race as Covid regulations/rules start to relax. 27 Harriers took part in this time trial format event. Set in an orchard with a fair few out and back sections it certainly tested member's 'mental fortitude' as well as their physical running abilities.
Results are on the club website under the competition tab - go to 2021 Club Champs.
This is the link: Club Champs Page
Coity Fell Race - Saturday 19th June - 3rd race in the 2021 club fell series
This event is usually a relatively easy fell outing (and was advertised as a 'fell running virgins' fell race) was somewhat of an epic for many this year. There were no course markings and as far as we can tell a key marshal was either late or not in the correct place. This lead to many going the wrong way and getting very lost - particularly the faster runners. It's a real shame as there just aren't many like it with a good degree of running on flat-ish ground. Den and Paul (series coordinators) will make sure there's an additional one put in the series this year similar to it.
Results are likely to be sometime but I'll post when they appear. Well done to those who turned up and took part: Stuart, Tom, Lisa, Vicky, Sonia, Karen, Matthew, Mark, Gareth, Den, Jane, Jane, Kev, Niki, Cherry and James.Some photos from the day here
The next race in the fell series is Waun Fach on Sun 18th July. In good weather this would be suitable for all club members. 7 miles/2000ft. Den and Paul will be organising a recce for this which is open to everyone - even those not doing the event. These recces are a great way to get familiar with the hills and test out if fell races are for you. Information is here: Waun Fach
GLCL Virtual Summer Competition.
It's the 5k virtual distance next week. All information (including how to and where to surrender your times and the on-going results tables) can be found on the GLCL website here: GLCL website
Cotswold Way Relay - Saturday 4th July.
Teams are here: CWR2021 Teams . We've had a few drop out recently. Thanks to Vicky and Karen for stepping in. We are still looking for someone to confirm the can run leg 4 for the Mixed B team.
A reminder that all participants really need to recce their leg and have a practice at using the maprun app before the day. Next week I'll post full details on how to configure your name on the app so that the organisers can easily find your result and attribute it to the correct team.
SWT - South Wales Traverse
Starting at 4:30am on Saturday 19th June, Julian Boon (aka Forrest Jooligan) from Fodac managed to complete the round in 18:17hrs.
The website is here: SWT Website
Crybin Fell Race - Saturday 26th June 1pm
This fairly stiff fell race - graded AS, 3100 ft/5.5 miles - is coming up next weekend. It climbs the steep NW face of the Crybin (no path) and then up Pen Y Fan before descending it's NE ridge pack to the Cwm Gwdi car park. Details and entry here: Crybin Fell Race
Another fell race coming up is Four Fans on Saturday 10th July. This is quite a serious event with the need to navigate across areas with no paths and on some difficult terrain. Entries are now open. Information and entry here: Four Fans Fell Race
Runner of the week
Why did you start running? I was going to the gym during my work
lunch break. They had an outdoor running track and using that seemed a
much better option than the treadmill.
What was your first ever race? Reading
Half marathon - 1992, a work colleague talked me into it. I didn't
do much training and I said I would never run again. I kept to this
until 2011, when I started occasionally running in my lunch break. I
didn't start running regularly until I moved to the Forest of Dean in
2015.
Why did you join Chepstow Harriers? I felt I could no longer gate crash the social events without joining. People were beginning to raise eyebrows.
What runs/events do you like best? My least favorite is Cross Country, but I know it makes me stronger, both mentally and physically.
What’s your favourite distance? 5k
What’s a typical training week for you? Speedwork/Hill
reps on Tuesdays, Strength training and Yogalates Wednesday, Tempo run
Thursday and Racing or long runs on the weekend.
What ways does running impact on your life? Running
has been a huge part of my life since I moved to the Forest of Dean.
It was a big move relocating to a new area, but I knew that making
friends would not be an issue. My plan was to turn up at the local
parkrun and hope for the best. My cunning plan worked a treat.
What do you feel is your best running achievement? The
Hereford 5k series. Prior to this, I had only gone sub 20 minutes once
at Caldicot parkrun in 2017. I was hoping to go sub 20, but ended up
going sub 19, I didn't believe I had until the official results came
out. I went on to PB each time and ended up breaking the 90% age graded
barrier.
Have you got a short epic/funny story to tell about running? My
first ever parkrun was the inaugural Newbury parkrun. There was snow on
the ground and when I arrived my car was showing -10 degrees. I wasn't
the only nutter, 317 people ran. Prior to that the most runners to
attend an inaugural event was 217.
Do you have any short term/long term goals in running? Or is there an event you’d really like to do? My short term goal is to get a 10k PB. I'm hoping to go sub 40 mins. My 10k PB is currently 41.27.
Got any advice for others? Work hard and the results will follow. Cross training is as important as putting in the miles.
Want to get something off your chest? When going to the fells, recce, take a map and don't just follow the person in front. 😂
Runner of the week next week. Dicky Finch (Coachy).




No comments:
Post a Comment