Racing scene
GLCL Virtual Series
Well done to all the Harriers that managed to run the 5K and subimit a time for this 2nd event in the summer GLCL virtual series.
At the time of writing Chepstow ladies were 1st, 3rd and 3rd in the A, B and C team categories and the men were 2nd in all. Information and up to date results for this are as ever on the GLCL website here: http://www.glclrunning.com/
Cribyn Fell Race
Some found the nav on this a bit tricky - that final descent draws quite a few down the wrong ridge it seems. Matthew Lawson and Paul Murrin took part. Results are here: Cribyn Results
SF Expereince - Dark Trail
Andy Creber took part in the 21kms 'clean fatigue' category and came 1st overall. Website here
Heineken Race to the Castle
Brett Regulski took part and completed this 100km ultra.Website here.
Cotswold Way Relay. Saturday 3rd July
This event is next Saturday. We have 30 members taking part in 3 teams.
The teams are here: 2021 CWR Teams Race website here: CWR Website
You can also find further useful CWR information on our own website (including leg start times) here:
Harriers CWR webpage
Paul (event coordiantor for the club) will be in touch with everyone during the week with reminders and up to date instructions for all participants.
Also coming up next week is the Frampton 10k and The Saunders Lakeland Mountain Marathon - members are taking part in both.
Runner of the Week. Dick Finch ('coachy').
Started Running: A couple of years before our club started,
during the running boom when the London Marathon started. I was in my
mid-forties and two of the lads at work used to train at lunchtime and run
about 5 miles. I asked if I could join them, but they only let me run three out
of the five days at first until I got fitter. I started running in the evening
and at weekends too. We lived in Llandogo then, and I always ran the same route
along to Whitebrook and back (half of it is Syd’s daily run from St Brevs to
Brown’s shop in Llandogo).
First Races: We used to do the Sun Life 5 Business Race every September, and then I worked up to the Bath Half, and eventually the old Bristol Marathon that started and finished on the Downs. I thought I’d do 3 hours no sweat, but started to cramp up coming through Southmead at about 20 miles, and ended up dehydrated and in a mess, clocking about 3.25.
I also saw a report in the local paper written by Club co-founder George Wilkinson, about a small off road race from Brockweir along Offa’s Dyke and back to MacKenzie Hall. I loved that, and began to seek out other off roaders. Pete Broadhurst talked me into doing the South Downs 80 miler: took us 17 hours. Also was one of the five members who ran the 40 mile Ridgeway run in the Club Champs a few years ago.
Loved fell races, and did a few mountain marathons. I still
organise a couple of fell races now. With the help of Rob Brown, Paul Dodd,
Cherry Fowler and other good people, we managed to put on the Cwmdu race this
May.
Chepstow Harriers: I was doing speedwork round the football
pitch outside my house when John Cottrell, another co-founder (and neighbour),
stopped me and told me about the new club starting in a few weeks. So I jogged
down to the Leisure Ctre on the night, but no one one waiting for a run outside
so I ran home. Turned out that everyone was inside signing up. So that’s how I
ended up being member no. 18.
We joined the Leisure Centre League early on, which I always think was the best thing ever. In the early days I remember we had three generations of the Finch family turning out for GLCL races - daughter Caron, granddaughter Lauren and me. Then we plucked up courage to join the Gwent Cross Country League, which also turned out to be a good move. Then the Cotswold Way Relay which was always my favourite event. We had fun recceing the Cotswolds: at one stage we drove across every Saturday and recced a different stage every time (Jane & Geoff, and Andy & Sue Ost, will remember). Then the great day itself was always a great experience though we didn’t have much success to start with. We couldn’t get an invite for the Welsh Castles for a while, but that was a great weekend. And the Charmouth race was a marvellous Club trip and event.
Afraid my racing career is about over now. I’ll stick to
coaching which is very rewarding. I reckon we have a marvellous coaching team,
including some very keen trainees, putting on training for all abilities.
We also put on the best races. The Chepstow Half had a great reputation, and all the ones we do now are brilliant, with great support from members, families and friends. And of course the best cakes - tho’ I rarely indulge, myself 😜.

No comments:
Post a Comment