Sunday, 13 June 2021

Weekly News. Sunday 13th June.

Racing Scene

  • Club champs this coming Thursday - OTT (Orchard Time Trial).
  • Next race in the fell series this Saturday - Coity Fell Race.  Saturday 19th June. Event page here:
    Coity Fell Race
  • Results from Sunday's Cwmdu East MapRun here  - well done to Dave, Cherry, Karen and Gareth for taking part in less than perfect conditions. 
  • CWR - reminder that the teams are: CWR2021 Teams

    Please try to recce your leg before racing it on 3rd July. And please have a practice with the maprun6 app before the day - at the practice last Thursday we found 2 people had issues with their phones 'going to sleep' during the run and so therefore not tracking their progress.

Runner of the week.
Anne Jenner (aka Mrs Smiley).


I remember my first ever run - I joined the WRNS when I was 18 and we had to go cross country running in basic training.   I had never done this before but found I quite enjoyed it.  I have run on and off ever since then.

I was fortunate to get a posting to the Far East - and whilst there was introduced to "Hash House Harriers".   Basically it was this that made me start running regularly - it got you out and about exploring a variety of different places and afterwards there were always a few forfeits on the go along with the odd drink.... To me this is what running is all about - being outdoors, taking part in something that gives you a buzz mentally and physically and,  when not running alone,  having a bit of fun with a great bunch of people. 

Before moving to Wales I lived in Bristol and belonged to Great Western Runners.   When I hit 40 I decided I needed a challenge - enter the half marathon.   My first one was in 2001 - Bristol - and ever since then I have aimed to do at least one a year (injuries and a pandemic being exceptions).  I alsways said I would never do a marathon.    I cant remember exactly when I joined Chepstow Harriers (I commuted back to Bristol for a while to run with GWR because I thought the Harriers would all be proper athletes....) but certainly have been a member for over 10 years now. 

My favourite runs are off road, somewhere unfamiliar to me, on a nice crisp day,  ideally around 10k in distance.   My least favourite session would be speed work around a running track !  (Sorry but that is how it is, I am a happy plodder).

Currently carrying an injury, I havent run this year which is a little frustrating as I was "persuaded" to sign up to do my first "virtual" marathon this year (it coincides with another milestone birthday).   Along with my fellow team mates, Shari and Sharron, we are in training but currently only getting the miles in at walking speed - give team SAS a cheer if you see us out anywhere !

I love being a member of this club, you really are a lovely group of people - athletes and all others !

No comments:

Post a Comment