Sunday, 16 May 2021

Weekly News. Sunday 16th May.

Racing Scene

Club Fell Series. Race 2.
Longtown-Llanthony Fell Race. Say 22nd May.
The race is full - but there may be one or two transfers available on facebook.

Club Championship. Race 1. Tuesday 18th May.
5K time trial on Severn Bridge parkrun route. 2 or 3 waves.
You need to have signed up for this. It's not just a turn up on the night thing.
All details here: 5K Time Trial

CWR 2021 - July 3rd
The teams for 2021 are found on this link: CWR Teams
We should all be thinking about doing a recce of our legs soon. If you are planning a recce please share this on the members only facebook group as it may be possible to share transport with others on a leg before or after. You don't need to be in a team to join in on a recce - if you fancy joining others for a great run out in the countryside keep your eyes out for recce plans on the facebook page.
MapRun app - if you are not already very familiar with the maprun app on mobile or watch it's going to be a very good idea to do a couple of practice runs on local mapruns. You don't want to put in all that effort of racing simply to find the app hasn't worked for you. In and around Chepstow there are 4 easy ones to practice on - Mathern, Boughsprings, Chepstow 3 woods linear and Chepstow 3 Woods score.
If you need any help at all please contact Paul Dodd.

GLCL Sunmmer Virual Series
Message from Niki Morgan (Club Captain):
"Dates for the GLCL summer virtual race series (you will have one week to get your virtual race done):

Rules: Elevation must start and finish within 5m.
Week commencing 24/05/2021 - 1 Mile Virtual Race
Week commencing 21/06/2021 - 5k Virtual Race
Week commencing 19/07/2021 - 4 Mile Virtual Race.
Week commencing 16/08/2021 - 5 Mile Virtual Race
Week commencing 13/09/2021 - 10k Virtual Race
A new team (Dimitri and Christine Vorres) are taking over the results processing for these virtual races, so whilst they are getting used to this, there may be a few days' delay getting the results out, so please be patient. Also, they won't have time to check everyone's results for elevation and or moving time v elapsed time so please be self policing on this - no cheaty MacCheat-pants - your fellow Harriers will undoubtedly notice any misdemeanours on Strava and dob you in. I'll post a reminder about the first one mile race in a week's time. Good luck and enjoy!"

Training
Please see separate blog post from the coaching team. 

C25K
Message from Jo Milliken:
"C25k is returning on Wednesday 26th May, 6.30pm on the Leisure Centre track.  
We need at least 6 volunteers to help run the sessions over the 9 week course.  
If you would like to help please let us know (you don't to do all 9 sessions)."

Runner of the Week
Steve Dilley.

Why did you start running? Its flexibility meant I could fit it around a job in the City working long hours.  I'm also competitive and I liked to enter races.
What was your first ever half marathon? The Great North Run in 2001 or 2002.  Finished in 1:36 and foolishly said I'd never do another.
How long have you been running? About 20 years
Why did you join Chepstow Harriers? We relocated from south Devon about 5 years ago and I was looking for a local club.
What runs/events do you like best? These days, trail with hills.  However, I'm poor on technical terrain.
What’s your favourite distance?  8-10 miles where it gets more tactical
What’s a typical training week for you? Include any cross-training (other activity that impacts on running) you may do. In my mid 30s, I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis, so I cross train a lot and do fewer road runs than many others.  I'd be happy with 1 swim, 1 bike ride and 2-3 runs in a good week. 
What ways does running impact on your life? It gives me a great sense of freedom and is a wonderful stress reliever.  I love spending time outdoors.
What do you feel is your best running achievement? I was delighted to dip below 1:30 for a half marathon n 2019.  However, the best achievement is learning from your failures.  In my first London Marathon, I collapsed at 23 miles.  After an hour coming to with St Johns Ambulance, I was relieved just to get around.  The following year, I came back stronger.
Is there anybody (famous or local) or anything that has particularly inspired you in your running? The vets in Chepstow Harriers are pretty awesome.  
Have you got a short epic/funny story to tell about running? Don't ever go to the pub after work, drink a large fresh orange juice and try to run 5 miles home.  It isn't pretty.
Do you have any short term/long term goals in running? Or is there an event you’d really like to do?  I am hoping to race in the Cotswold Relays this summer if i can recover from injury.
Got any advice for others?  1. The hardest thing about going for a run is sometimes leaving the house. 2. For many people, consistency in training is what brings about most improvement. 3. You can never have too many trainers.
Want to get something off your chest? An idea to take the club forward?  We're a great club and should be proud of what we achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment