Weekly News. Sunday 14th March.
Virtual Racing:
- Well done to all those that completed a 20 mile run for the GLCL Spring virtual marathon preparation series. This was the 3rd and final race in the series. All details and results can be found here:GLCL Spring Virtual Marathon Preparation
- Forest Mile - This coming week is the final race in the series - the 9 mile route is a 'strava segment' on the Family Cycle Way in the FoD. It's 14.3 kms with 130m ascent. Please remember that you can do the challenge anywhere you wish. Cherry will give a full explanation in her blog post.
- The week after next is the 5th of the GLCL Virtual 5x5 Miles Series. All information about this will appear on the GLCL website next weekend. https://sites.google.com/site/glclrunning/home
Real Racing
When the current round of local virtual racing comes to an end on 28th March, some actual real races are starting 😍. Hereford Couriers 5k on April 7th then Rogue Runs' Severn Bridge 5 on the 16th April are just examples of some local races that members have signed up for.
The club Championship Coordinators (Vanessa and Bobby) are also planning on fitting in a club only 5k Severn Bridge time trial in April too. They'll let us know a date soon.
Runner of the week
This week it's Paul Murrin in the spotlit chair. We don't tend to see much of him on training nights but he's always there at club competitions. Paul won the Club Champs for 9 consecutive years (2010-2018).
Here is a short video from the Skirrid fell race which he won in 2014. The video is 1min 30 secs long and shows where Paul took the lead and then continued to run up the ridge that most can only walk:
Paul Murrin on the Skirrid Fell Race
For those with 7mins 36secs available, the full race video is here: Skirrid Fell Race Full Video
Why did you start running? I
used to do lots of mountain bike racing, and just occasional running
but when I had kids that didn't fit so well - driving round the country,
spending all day out biking. So I gradually switched to more and more
running as it took up far less time and I enjoyed exploring the local
area.
What was your first ever race? I
can't remember. Possibly the Chepstow Half Marathon way back when that
was still running. I'd just moved to Chepstow and that sounded like fun.
How long have you been running? Probably about 20 years, but more and more in recent years. I did run occasionally before that, but not very often.
Why did you join Chepstow Harriers? Syd
kept trying to persuade me and in the end I thought I'd give it a try. I
don't get to that many Tues and Thursday sessions, but enjoy meeting up
with people at all the races and events.
What runs/events do you like best? Fell
runs, the steeper and gnarlier the better. I do the majority of my
running off road but prefer woodland and moorland to fields.
What’s your favourite distance? Anything really.
What’s a typical training week for you? I
tend to run about 3 or 4 times a week and occasionally do a bit of road
or mountain biking. I rarely do specific training, but I have tried to
do a regular speedy virtual race over the last year.
What ways does running impact on your life? Keeps
me sane. I love being out in nature. I also find running kind of
relaxing and a good place to think through stuff. It is a good change of
scenery from sitting in front of a computer all day and sometimes I can
work through problems and come up with creative solutions whilst out
running - so I don't feel too guilty if I sneak out when I'm supposed to
be at work.
Do you think you fit into any particular category of runner? The really annoying kind that runs fast even though I don't train like mad. You can say that again! 😆 (Ed)
What do you feel is your best running achievement? I
was pleased that I did the London Marathon eventually and got under
3hrs. It's not really my kind of thing, but I thought I ought to do it
once. I did actually do quite a lot of training for that - which was
boring as hell.
Have you got a short epic/funny story to tell about running? I've done the
Ambleside Fell Race (Rydal Round) twice and been disqualified both times
for going the wrong way in the last mile! I've reccied it now so at
least I know which way to go should I do it again.
Do you have any short term/long term goals in running? Or is there
an event
you’d really like to do?
I'd like to do the UTMB one day, but I've never really thought that seriously about it yet.
Cotswold Way Relays 2021.
Sat 3rd July.
Paul Dodd writes:
"It's looking very much like this great team event will go ahead this year. I've been appointed CWR co-ordinator by the club and have been in touch with the RO at Team Bath.
It seems they are currently planning to hold this as a 'MapRun' event with runners starting their leg within a 30min window.
If it is a 'MapRun' event then runners will either need to have MapRun G set up on their Garmin watch or run with a mobile phone running the app - 'maprun6'. Many of you already have experience of the app and will be aware of some of it's foibles.
One advantage of it being run as a MapRun event is that the limit on the number of teams for each club may be increased from the 3 currently allowed. This would be good news for us as in the past we have had 50 or more interested in taking part.
However, currently (until we know more) we are provisionally looking at having 2 competitive mixed teams and another made up of interested and enthusiastic racers who have been competing for the club in virtual events over the last year.
This may of course all change as the restrictions at the time become more apparent and the number of club members interested in taking part is known. As soon as I know more I'll let you all know. The purpose of this post is to just give everyone the 'heads up' that it's on!
Linked with this CWR team philosophy is Rogue Runs' Wyedean Relay on Sat 14th August which this year will be coordinated by Niki - the philosophy of which will be - anyone who wants to run can, so if any member can't get into the CWR teams they will be able to take part in another relay team event soon after. But I'll let Niki explain all this herself".
Wyedean Relay 2021.
Saturday 14th August
Niki Morgan writes:



No comments:
Post a Comment