Sunday, 7 March 2021

Weekly New. Sunday 7th March.

After the lovely warm spring weather of last weekend we've been back in the freezer this week. Next week looks to be warmer and wetter. But, all weather is good for running! 😁

VIRTUAL RACING
1/ GLCL Spring Virtual Marathon Preparation - 20 Mile Virtual Race
For those of you working towards a spring marathon the GLCL virtual race next week is perfect: 20 miles. Will anyone have the mental fortitude to do 22 laps of the infamous industrial estate? 😲
All the information you need about this virtual event (including leaderboard, links to submit times, rules etc) is here:
GLCL 20 Mile Virtual Race


2/ 'Forest Mile' Virtual Challenge.
Cherry's on-going virtual challenge continues next week with the 10k. This is based on a signed trail in FoD starting at Mallards Pike Lake. But of course you can do the challenge anywhere.

REMINDER - you can do this challenge on the road and straight out of your front door. You do not need to travel to take part. Please see Cherry's separate blog post for all the details.

Each week is a separate event - don't worry if you've missed one or more of the previous distances.Dip in an out as you choose. There may even be an opportunity to 'catch up' in the next week or two and do an event you've missed.

The BMAF (British Masters Athletic Federation) One Mile Virtual Challenge is now over. The Harriers have once again been punching above their weight with (at the time of writing) podium team places in the WV35-44, WV45-54 and MV55-64 categories. Well done to all those that took part and submitted a time. For information and results please use these links:
Information - BMAF Road Running Championships 2021
Open Track Results

COVID: with getting on for 50% of the nation now 'vaxxed' and the call up of the 55-59 age group next week, things are looking good for a return to some kind of club training and racing in the not too distant future. The planned start of parkrun on 5th June in England may give race organisers more confidence to set dates and open entries for their races too.
It is expected that the Senedd will announce their plans for a Welsh 'roadmap' out of lockdown this week on Friday 12th March. We wait with bated breath.   


RUNNER OF THE WEEK
 

This week, relative newbie to the club, Julia Bajjada, is under the spotlight.
Why did you start running?  I started running when I was a Kingsmark (comprehensive school) and found that I was quite good at it.
What was your first ever race?  My first ever race was running for the school at Bettws Comprehensive school (1983 ish). I was selected to run for Gwent.
How long have you been running?  On  and off (mostly off) for 30 years. but more consistently 4 years. My first Park Run was at Newport Riverfront February 2019.
Why did you join Chepstow Harriers?  I was training to run in the Cardiff Half and Forest of Dean Half. James Boyle and Jonathon Carter both suggested I join The Harriers.  I trained with you guys for a few weeks leading up to both races and achieved sub 2 hours in both races ( with a broken toe and injured knee) however, the injury put my running on hold!  I officially joined in January 2019 and haven’t looked back! Jon strikes gain! (Ed)
What runs/events do you like best? I like a variety, love runs with spectacular views {we are lucky where we live}.  I think 10k but starting to enjoy the longer distances. Really enjoyed the WVW downhill.
What’s a typical training week for you? I try to run 4 times a week as I’m starting to get twitchy on the days I don’t run. Should do more strength-based training.
What way does running impact on your life?  You’ve all heard the phrase “you know you’re a runner when…”  you drive past somebody running … you A. see if you recognise them. B.  feel jealous because you are not running.  
Someone says to you “I saw you out jogging” (and you think I don’t jog I run ).  
After having new trainers for Christmas (in February) you are looking for new trainers.
Ultimately. I’ve made lots of wonderful friends, found amazing places to run to and enjoy the free therapy that running gives.

What do you feel is your best running achievement?  Becoming more consistent in my training and getting 5k PB’s.  I’m working on achieving longer distance pb’s.
Is there anybody or anything that has particularly inspired you in your running?  My Aunty Mary was a runner, in 1981 we watched the 1st London marathon, we joked that we would do that one day.  I’d like to run that one day soon for her.
Do you have any short term/term goals in running? Well. this weekend run 20 miles for the GCLC, and then a Marathon some time this year. (sadly didn’t make the ballot for London).  Get back to proper races again.
Got any advice for others?  Everyone can run, a slow run is better than no run at all.  It’s the best therapy that money can buy.  Running with a club introduces you to lots of people, gives you great training advice, support and encouragement.
Have you got a short funny story to tell about running?  Around 1983 our PE teacher took us in her car to Bettws High school Newport for a cross county trial.  It must have been around February time, as there was a foot of snow on the field, which was a challenge. However, once we had finished our race, it was beginning to get dark,  our teacher was nowhere to seen!  She had popped into town and forgotten about us!  We’d been abandoned in a school which at the time resembled a sausage factory! Luckily someone got hold of their dad who kindly came to collect us. Ha. It doesn't seem to have put you off running! (Ed)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment