Sunday, 21 February 2021

Weekly News. Sunday 21st February.

 Weekly News. Sunday 21st February. 

COVID

As Dickie pointed out a couple of days ago the Welsh 'lockdown' continues until at least 12th March. But now in Wales, four people from no more than two households may meet and exercise together (both households must start and finish the exercise from their own home).
For those of us over the border, we'll know more tomorrow when Boris et al reveal their roadmap for getting out of lockdown in England.

 Virtual Racing this week:

  1. Spring Virtual Marathon Preparation - February Half Marathon Virtual Race. For more information, links to submit a result and the leaderboard follow this link: GLCL Half  Marathon  

  2. Our club's own 'Forest Mile' challenge organised by Cherry, continues this week with the 'Mallards 3k'. This is a Strava segment at Mallards Pike Lake in the FoD.
    Distance - 3.06km (1.9 miles), Elevation gain 40m
    Cherry will be making a separate blog post shortly with full details
    .

Runner of the week.



This week Denise Evans faces the interrogator. As well as being a keen Harrier runner, Denise can always be seen helping out at club events in one role or another (and is a vital part of the 'Rogue Team' too). 

Why did you start running? I started running when I started playing rugby for Blaenau Gwent as one session was always a trail run.
What was your first ever race? I think my first race was the Longleat 10k with about 2 inches of snow on the ground.
How long have you been running? I started running in 1992 and have continued on/off since then.
Why did you join Chepstow Harriers?  I joined the Harriers after running with FoD. The training nights at FoD were split with ladies and men training on separate days, Harriers had a more inclusive and organised approach.
What runs/events do you like best? I prefer the trail/off road runs to road as they are more sociable.
What’s your favourite distance? I would say 10k and over.
What’s a typical training week for you?  My training week usually consists of hill/speed session, strength session, yoga, tempo run, Parkrun and long run on Sunday.
What ways does running impact on your life? Running gives me a focus and some sort of routine all though this is flexible.
Do you think you fit into any particular category of runner? I would consider myself as a slower social runner but I enjoy the team events and the relays.
What do you feel is your best running achievement? I think my best achievements are when I’ve completed marathons and fell races as these take me way outside my comfort zone.
Is there anybody or anything that has inspired you in your running? I run because I enjoy it.
Have you got a short epic/funny story to tell about running? Running the Brown Willy on New Years Day after running Nos Galan New Years Eve, travelling down to Bodmin early hours of the morning in horrendous weather. The run was across Bodmin moor with very poor visibility, good job mountain rescue were out there. The funny part was watching everyone trying to wash/change outside their cars with buckets/bottles cold water as not allowed in the pub otherwise.
Got any advice for others? I would say just take the plunge and do it, you feel so much better for it. The hardest part is getting out of the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment